Fitness and yoga studios in the Halifax area are taking a very cautious approach in regard to the recent outbreak of COVID-19 cases in New Brunswick.
Modo Yoga sent a safety message to clients stating anyone who has recently travelled to New Brunswick can no longer attend their in-studio classes.
“When it comes to safety, we always act out of an abundance of caution,” the email stated.
“It is for this reason that we are asking anyone who has travelled to New Brunswick recently to refrain from coming to in-studio classes for the next two weeks, or until we have more information about the outbreak there.”
New Brunswick’s cases hit 90
New Brunswick reported six new cases Tuesday, for a total of 82 cases — higher than at any other time during the pandemic. By Wednesday, that number was growing again with eight new cases, bringing the province’s total to 90 active cases.
It’s those numbers that have triggered the measures now being taken at Modo Yoga.
“It certainly is not meant to be a punitive measure,” said Modo Yoga owner Joanna Thurlow. “Things on Friday were very different than they were on Monday and that just goes to show things can change and spread very quickly.”
The owners of other facilities are sending the same message to their clients.
“I think anything we can do temporarily as things pop up, it’s super important to take initiative right away,” said Connie McInnes, who owns three R Studios in Halifax.
She said clients of R Studios, which offer yoga and pilates classes, have been supportive of the safety measure. Even McInnes is staying away from her three locations because she travelled to New Brunswick last week.
“We need to be preventive so we can slow our second wave,” she said.
Spinco, a spin club with two locations in the Halifax area, has asked anyone who’s visited New Brunswick to stay away for at least the next two weeks. A Spinco location in Hamilton, Ont., was deemed as the source where at least 61 people recently contracted COVID-19.
“It’s our social responsibility to make sure everyone is safe,” said Taye Landry, the owner of the two Halifax locations.
“Of course it’s going to have a negative hit on the business for the next few weeks, but I would rather absorb that rather than have anyone unwell and the chance of having the studios contaminated.”
Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, said in an update Wednesday there is no need for people to avoid New Brunswick and the borders are remaining open.
Since there has been no community spread related to the outbreaks yet, Strang said there’s nothing to suggest Nova Scotians travelling through those areas are putting themselves “at any increased risk.”