Michigan Medicine tightens visitor restrictions as hospitalizations continue to rise

ANN ARBOR, MI – No visitors will be allowed with adult patients in Michigan Medicine hospitals, except when medically necessary, as the health system tries to minimize COVID-19 spread.

Michigan Medicine announced the changes that will go into effect on Wednesday, Nov. 25. Information on exceptions, including end-of-life care, labor and delivery and other situations, can be found here.

“COVID-19 transmission rates continue to climb in the community. Our top priority is the safety of our patients and staff, and to minimize the spread of disease, we need to take this additional step,” said Laraine Washer, M.D., Michigan Medicine’s medical director of infection prevention and epidemiology, in a news release.

“We know this is difficult for our patients and their families and friends. But we need to continue to keep our Michigan Medicine facilities safe for all of our patients.”

The latest visitor limitations come in addition to restrictions the health system previously announced, including not allowing visitors with adult emergency department patients; a two-visitor limit for pediatric patients and mask requirement at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital; and no visitor rule for adult patients at Michigan Medicine clinics, unless the patient has a cognitive or physical impairment that requires assistance.

As of Nov. 23, Michigan Medicine reported 103 patients currently admitted that tested positive for COVID-19 – the highest number since late April.

Washer encouraged people to stay home this Thanksgiving and avoid gatherings with those outside your household.

“The best advice to limit risk is to continue to avoid gathering with people outside your household even if it is Thanksgiving. If you are reporting to work, don’t have potlucks or share meals in close proximity with your co-workers: you can’t eat without taking off your mask, and that brief period of not wearing a mask could be enough to open the door to disease spread,” Washer said.

READ MORE:

Wear masks, Michigan Medicine leaders tell public as hospitalizations surge

Michigan coronavirus outbreaks increase 45% in 2 weeks

Exhausted in a ‘nightmare’: A look inside a Michigan hospital COVID unit

Source Article

Read more

Silver Cross Puts New Visitor Restrictions In Place

NEW LENOX, IL — As coronavirus cases increase across the state, Silver Cross Hospital has updated its visitor policy. The hospital has seen increased COVID-related hospitalizations over the last few weeks, Director of Marketing and Community Relations Debra Robbins told Patch.

As of Monday morning, there are 75 total isolated patients at the hospital. 71 patients are positive for the coronavirus, while four are patients under investigation.

Robbins said one patient is on a ventilator.

“With the growing number of COVID cases in the region, to keep our patients and staff safe, we’ve also implemented visitor restrictions effective today, Nov. 2,” Robbins said.

The new changes are:

  • For emergency department, procedural care unit and obstetrics: 1 visitor is allowed, but it must be the same visitor throughout

  • Inpatients: No visitors allowed unless approved for special circumstances such as a pediatric patient, end-of-life situations, or patients with special needs.

  • Outpatients: No visitors allowed unless the patient needs additional support, such as a pediatric patient, or patients with special needs.

“Please remember to mask, wash your hands often, and practice social distancing,” Robbins said.

This article originally appeared on the New Lenox Patch

Source Article

Read more

Auckland cemetery visitor slams exercise group running a loud fitness boot camp next to graveyard

Rest in beats: Mourning son paying his respects to his late father at a cemetery is interrupted by a fitness boot camp playing loud music

  • A man visited an Auckland cemetery to mourn his dead father on his birthday 
  • His sacred silence was broken by a loud exercise boot camp blaring pop music  
  • He asked them if they thought it was appropriate and they ‘seemed astounded’  
  • The man filmed the group and sent the clip to the Purewa Cemetery Trust Board
  • The board manager said the exercise group was ordered to stop months ago

A mourning son has spoken of his anger after being interrupted while paying his respects to his father at a cemetery by a fitness group working out to loud music. 

The man, who wished to remain anonymous, visited the Purewa Cemetery in Auckland, New Zealand, on Tuesday to visit his dad’s resting place.

But the sacred silence was broken by a fitness group blaring loud pop music, shouting instructions and jumping up and down.  

Speaking to the New Zealand Herald, the man said the work out session should not have taken place there.

‘I go there on his birthday and the day he died every year. Suddenly I’m hearing music and these people are jumping up and down and someone yelling out, “one, two” and on further investigation I found these people having their fitness class,’ the man said. 

‘I walked up to them and asked if it was really an appropriate place to be doing what they were doing. They seemed quite astounded that someone would be upset.

‘If you saw people hooning around and driving up and down playing loud music you’d say that wouldn’t be acceptable behaviour so I don’t see why running a fitness club in a graveyard is.’         

The man decided to film the fitness group, which was made up of up to 15 people exercising outside of the chapel – just metres away from his father’s grave. 

In the video, the group can be seen squatting and jumping to the tune of ‘If I Can’t Have You’ by Shawn Mendes while an instructor shouts: ’10 seconds, push it!’ 

In the video (screenshot pictured), the group can be seen squatting and jumping to the tune of 'If I Can't Have You' by Shawn Mendes while an instructor shouts: '10 seconds, push it!'

In the video (screenshot pictured), the group can be seen squatting and jumping to the tune of ‘If I Can’t Have You’ by Shawn Mendes while an instructor shouts: ’10 seconds, push it!’

He sent the video in an email to the Purewa Cemetery Trust Board demanding that something be done about the workout group.   

Speaking to Daily Mail Australia, board general manager Alastair Crombie said the group had been ordered to stop working out at the grounds months ago.  

‘Historically, many years ago they were given permission by previous management to exercise under cover during winter but it was rescinded,’ Mr Crombie said. 

‘Four or five, maybe even six months ago even, they were told they wouldn’t be able to continue

Read more