Coronavirus-laden nursing home loses federal Medicare funding

A Kansas nursing home has lost its federal Medicare funding after an investigation revealed faulty practices led to widespread coronavirus infection and 10 deaths.

An onsite investigation at Andbe Home, Inc. in Norton, Kansas, revealed noncompliance with federal requirements for long-term care facilities, according to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) documents obtained by Fox News. 

The survey investigation by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services cited “widespread immediate jeopardy” to resident health and safety, according to the documents. The facility was also slammed with a $14,860 federal civil money penalty while it worked to correct noncompliance back in May.

A Kansas nursing home has lost its federal Medicare funding after a state investigation revealed faulty practices led to widespread coronavirus infection and 10 deaths. 

A Kansas nursing home has lost its federal Medicare funding after a state investigation revealed faulty practices led to widespread coronavirus infection and 10 deaths. 
(iStock)

CLICK HERE FOR FULL CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

Stephen Crystal, director of the Center for Health Services Research at the Rutgers Institute for Health, told Fox News that the move marks CMS’ “ultimate penalty; decertifying a facility.”

“Most of the time, they try very hard do other things before they go to that step [like civil monetary penalties],” he said, adding “CMS actually doesn’t do this very often, and one could argue that they haven’t moved quickly enough on other facilities that had out of control spread,” referencing New Jersey and New York as examples.

In the case of the Kansas facility, staff identified two symptomatic patients on Oct. 5 and confirmed positive test results two days later but failed to separate them from the rest of the residents.

‘ALARMING RATE’ OF CORONAVIRUS INFECTION AMONG GROCERY STORE WORKERS, STUDY FINDS

“During this time, COVID-19 positive residents cohorted with COVID-19 negative residents, with only a curtain between them, against [Centers for Disease and Prevention Control] guidelines and best practice to prevent the spread of highly contagious COVID-19,” said the documents obtained by Fox News. The facility also allowed communal dining for two days after they discovered the symptomatic patients.

These failures, among others described in the report, ultimately exposed all 61 residents to the virus, every single one testing positive, which led to one hospitalization and 10 deaths. By Oct. 19, 37 staff members tested positive.

Crystal wasn’t privy to all the details but upon a brief account said, “It sounds pretty egregious.” 

The facility’s administrator, Megan Mapes, received a notice of a 23-day involuntary termination of the Medicare provider agreement: “We have determined that Andbe Home, Inc. no longer meets the requirements for participation as a skilled nursing facility in the Medicare program under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act.”

These failures, among others described in the report, ultimately exposed all 61 residents to the virus. 

These failures, among others described in the report, ultimately exposed all 61 residents to the virus. 
(iStock)

The termination will go into effect Nov. 18, 2020.

CMS informed Mapes that the Medicare program won’t pay for covered services to patients admitted to the facility on or after Oct. 27, 2020. Medicare will cover patients admitted before that date for up to 30 days “to ensure residents are successfully relocated.”

The facility was

Read more

Newborn Loses Several Organs After North Carolina Hospital Allegedly Inserts Feeding Tube Incorrectly

A mother has filed a lawsuit against a North Carolina hospital for allegedly making a mistake following her newborn baby’s heart surgery, which has left him “fighting for his life.”

Messiah was born with a heart condition in November last year. A few days after his birth, the boy underwent a surgery at the Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center.

Following the surgery, the child had trouble taking the feeding bottle, and when the mother, Shytilya Springs, informed the hospital, they decided to insert a feeding tube. 

However, the boy’s condition got worse after it was discovered the tube had pierced his intestines and all the nutrition they had supplied to the child through the tube had leaked. This caused the boy to lose several organs.

The mother told WSOC-TV that the boy is “still fighting for his life” and said the hospital is at fault.

Springs has now filed a lawsuit against the hospital and the medical staff. She is suing them because she would need nearly $20 million to look after her son for the rest of his life. Springs also said that as of now, the boy can’t taste food or eat.

“Once you put all the food into his abdomen, you either increase the pressure which compromised blood flow or the chemical reaction between the food products and his intestines caused the tissue breakdown. So, his stomach and intestines became necrotic. Essentially, they died. It became necessary to remove them to save his life,” attorney Charles Monnett said in the lawsuit, the television station reported.

The hospital is yet to comment on the lawsuit. However, they did appear in court and denied all the allegations.

Meanwhile, the Duke University Hospital is trying to determine if the boy could undergo an intestinal transplant. It wasn’t clear if the mother approached the hospital.

“I want him to be better,” Springs told the television station. 

Baby Feet This is a representational image of a baby’s feet. Photo: Pixabay

Source Article

Read more