Sun Sentinel extends deadline to nominate South Florida’s Top Workplaces

The South Florida Sun Sentinel is inviting the public to nominate the best employers in South Florida as Top Workplaces — and there’s still plenty of time to apply.

The deadline for final nominations has been extended from Oct. 30 to Dec. 11.

It is the seventh consecutive year that the news organization has recognized companies and nonprofit organizations in Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties for their efforts to boost employee engagement, attract and retain top talent, and transform the workplace culture.

Any organization with 35 or more employees in Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade is eligible to participate. That includes public, private, nonprofit and government entities.

Energage, the research partner for the project, evaluates workplaces using a 24-question survey filled out by employees. So far, more than 115 South Florida companies have signed up to take the Top Workplaces survey.

The results of the contest will be published in May.

For information and to enter nominations, participants may visit http://www.sunsentinel.com/nominate or call (954) 666-0786.

———

©2020 the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Source Article

Read more

A deadline, then a viral surge and Florida hospitals miss out on pandemic aid

Florida’s caseload surged around the June cutoff date for the high-impact distribution. Between March and June 10, 2,801 people in the state had died from Covid-19 and 67,371 had tested positive for the virus, according to data from the Florida Department of Health.

Two months after the cutoff date, deaths had nearly tripled and the state was coping with an eightfold increase in cases.

Jackson and Shands are among 30 safety net hospitals designated to treat Florida’s poorest and typically uninsured residents. Combined, the hospitals have treated 60 percent of the state’s 46,693 hospitalized Covid-19 patients, but have received a sliver of the funding given to some states that saw fewer infections.

Gainesville-based Shands Hospital lost $160 million in revenue because of the pandemic and has received only $31.4 million in CARES Act aid. The shortfall forced Shands CEO Ed Jimenez to freeze employee raises indefinitely.

“Imagine you’re a nurse, and you take care of Covid patients, and your boss just said you don’t get a raise,” Jimenez said in an interview. “If Florida had gotten its fair share, if the safety nets had gotten their fair share, if my hospital had not been overlooked in the safety net tranche, things would be better.”

“They wouldn’t be great but they’d be better,” Jimenez said.

While Shands received $31.4 million from the Provider Relief Fund’s first phase of general distribution, it received no high-impact aid.

Jackson, which lost more than $78 million in revenue from the pandemic, said it received a combined $108 million from high-impact and general distributions. HHS data shows Jackson received $83.1 million from the high-impact fund.

And both Shands and Jackson got nothing from $14.4 billion set aside for safety net providers because, under HHS rules, both hospitals made too much money.

In Jackson’s case, the federal agency counted revenue from a tax levied by Miami-Dade County that funds the hospital. At Shands, Jimenez was unable to write off $68 million tied to the teaching hospital’s partnership with the University of Florida.

“After that, not a dime,” Jimenez said of the first phase of cash. Sens. Marco Rubio and Rick Scott heard his complaints, he said, but the Republican lawmakers told him there was little they could do.

“At the end of the day, it’s HHS, which is not subject to the will of the Congress or Senate,” JImenez said.

Talks with HHS Deputy Secretary Eric Hargan about updating the distribution rules went nowhere, Migoya said.

“Deputy Secretary Hargan was talking to me about it, and trying to figure out how to help us,” Migoya said. “It still didn’t happen.

“Obviously that was never the intent of the CARES money — that was to make up for lost revenues, but we’re not even close to that,” Migoya said.

When asked about the complaints from Jimenez and Migoya, a HHS spokesperson who would speak only on the condition of anonymity pointed to $20 billion set aside for Phase 3 of the general distribution, which opened for applications Oct.

Read more

The Latest: UK Gives Manchester Deadline to OK Tighter Rules | World News

LONDON — The British government has given the city of Manchester a noon Tuesday deadline to agree to tighter coronavirus measures, as Prime Minister Boris Johnson struggles to impose his plan for localized restrictions on restive regions.

Johnson’s government is resisting a recommendation from its scientific advisory committee for a short “circuit-breaker” lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Instead it has adopted a three-tier system for England, with areas classed as medium, high and very high risk. In the top tier, pubs have to close and people are barred from mixing with members of other households.

So far only the Liverpool and Lancashire regions of northwest England have been placed in the highest tier. Nearby Greater Manchester, with a population of almost 3 million, has been holding out for more support for workers and businesses affected by the restrictions.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham said if the government imposed the measures, “we would obviously have to accept that decision … But I would say to them at this point are they sure that that is a wise thing to do?”

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE VIRUS OUTBREAK:

— An angry Trump criticizes disease expert Dr. Fauci, the news media and polls that show him trailing rival Biden in key states 2 weeks before Election Day

— U.K. researchers plan to infect healthy volunteers with the virus to speed the development of a vaccine, a move that is risky but could produce faster results

— Argentina is 5th nation to surpass 1 million cases; 3 others in Latin America near the milestone

— Some progress claimed in Washington’s negotiations for a new coronavirus relief package, but the same core problems remain

— A World Series like no other opens Tuesday night with Major League Baseball relieved to reach the championship of a pandemic-delayed season

Follow all of AP’s coronavirus pandemic coverage at http://apnews.com/VirusOutbreak and https://apnews.com/UnderstandingtheOutbreak

HERE’S WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING:

LISBON, Portugal — Portugal’s prime minister is backing down from his plan to make the government’s COVID-19 tracing app mandatory.

Prime Minister Antonio Costa said in a television interview that the widely contested move, which was due to be voted on later this week in parliament, required further debate.

Portugal’s Stayaway COVID app has been downloaded 2.3 million times — just over one third of the government’s target.

Costa’s plan for compulsory use was widely criticized as unworkable. Among other complaints, police said the measure was unenforceable, and legal experts said it was unconstitutional.

Parliament is expected on Friday to make the wearing of face masks mandatory outdoors.

BERLIN — A district in Germany’s Alpine southeastern corner is going into a de-facto lockdown Tuesday after reporting well above 200 new cases per 100,000 residents in a week, the highest level in a country that is still in better shape than many others in Europe.

Schools, restaurants and other facilities in the Berchtesgaden district, on the border with Austria, are being closed for 14 days. Hotels there

Read more
  • Partner links