Prince William ‘Tested Positive for COVID-19 in April’



The Duke of Cambridge contracted COVID-19 earlier this year but did not reveal the diagnosis to avoid alarming the nation, it was reported.

It is understood that Prince William tested positive in April, shortly after his father, the Prince of Wales.

According to The Sun , which first reported the story, Prince William was treated by palace doctors, and self-isolated at the family home, Anmer Hall, in Norfolk.

‘Struggling to Breathe’

The newspaper quoted a source who said: “William was hit pretty hard by the virus – it really knocked him for six.

“At one stage he was struggling to breathe, so obviously everyone around him was pretty panicked.”

In late March, Prince Charles tested positive for COVID-19 and self-isolated for 7 days at Balmoral Castle in Scotland with his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who tested negative.

The 71-year-old heir to the throne was said to have experienced mild symptoms.

On 27 March, Boris Johnson revealed he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The Prime Minister was admitted to hospital on 5 April. He was subsequently moved to intensive care and later thanked healthcare workers for saving his life.

The UK experienced its worst day for deaths from COVID-19 just days later, on 8 April, when a record 1445 people died with the disease in a 24-hour period.

News reports have not identified which date in April Prince William tested positive for COVID-19.

The Prince has not publicly confirmed that he had the SARS-CoV-2 virus. However, according to The Sun, he reportedly commented privately at an engagement, “There were important things going on and I didn’t want to worry anyone.”

Kensington Palace declined to comment on Sunday over the media reports but did not deny the claims, Sky News reported.

Prince Carried Out Public Engagements

Despite his illness, Prince William carried out a series of telephone and video engagements in April.

These included:

  • 1 April: Telephone calls with staff at Queen’s Hospital, Burton-on-Trent, and staff at University Hospital Monklands in Airdrie

  • 16 April: Opening the NHS Nightingale Hospital in Birmingham via video link

  • 22 April: A roundtable meeting to discuss emergency responder mental health and wellbeing via video link

  • 27 April: A telephone call with Victoria Hornby, chief executive officer of Mental Health Innovations

Lockdown Measures

The reports of Prince William’s diagnosis emerged days before England is due to enter a second national lockdown, with 4 weeks of restrictive measures designed to stem a growing number of cases of COVID-19.

Mr Johnson announced at a Downing Street news conference on Saturday that pubs, restaurants, gyms, non-essential shops, and places of worship must close.

He said nobody wanted to impose such measures, but no Prime Minister could ignore the expert evidence of a “national problem”, with deaths and hospital admissions continuing to double.

The Prime Minister is due to make a statement to the Commons on Monday afternoon.

MPs are due to vote on the measures on Wednesday.

Source

Read more

Kushner told Woodward in April Trump was ‘getting the country back from the doctors’

White House senior adviser Jared KushnerJared Corey KushnerDemocrats accuse Kushner of ‘casual racism’ over comments about Black Americans Scaramucci says Trump has united country: ‘It just happens to be against him’ Obama slams Kushner comments on Black Americans: ‘What history books do they read?’ MORE in April told journalist Bob Woodward that the country had progressed in its response to the coronavirus pandemic to the point where President TrumpDonald John TrumpGiuliani goes off on Fox Business host after she compares him to Christopher Steele Trump looks to shore up support in Nebraska NYT: Trump had 7 million in debt mostly tied to Chicago project forgiven MORE was “back in charge” and “getting the country back from the doctors.”

Kushner, who is also the president’s son-in-law, told Woodward on April 18 that the country was moving into what he deemed the “comeback phase.” The comments came one day after Trump tweeted out support for people protesting against coronavirus-related restrictions with calls to “liberate” Michigan, Minnesota and Virginia.

“There were three phases. There’s the panic phase, the pain phase and then the comeback phase. I do believe that last night symbolized kind of the beginning of the comeback phase,” Kushner told Woodward, according to an audio recording published by CNN.

“That doesn’t mean there’s not still a lot of pain and there won’t be pain for a while, but that basically was — we’ve now put out rules to get back to work,” he continued. “Trump’s now back in charge. It’s not the doctors. They’ve kind of — we have, like, a negotiated settlement.”

Kushner told Woodward that working out guidelines allowing parts of the economy to reopen “was almost like Trump getting the country back from the doctors. Right? In the sense that what he now did was, you know, he’s going to own the open-up.”

The comments came in April, when the country had managed to reduce infection rates and improve hospital capacity after the administration promoted an initiative to “slow the spread” for 30 days by encouraging social distancing and mask wearing.

Trump told Woodward in February and March that he was aware the virus was dangerous and could spread through the air, but that he wanted to intentionally play down its severity to avoid causing panic, according to previously released recordings.

But in the six months since, Trump has agitated for the country to fully reopen, leading to a spike in virus cases. In that same time frame, he has pushed aside medical experts who were leaders on the White House coronavirus task force, including Anthony FauciAnthony FauciConservative operatives Wohl, Burkman charged in Ohio over false robocalls 68 percent of Americans say they know someone diagnosed with COVID-19: poll The Hill’s 12:30 Report – Presented by Facebook – One week out, where the Trump, Biden race stands MORE, Deborah BirxDeborah BirxFauci: Trump has not been to a task force meeting in months Scott Atlas: Fauci ‘just one person on the task force’ Overnight

Read more

France sees highest number of COVID-19 patients going into hospital since April

PARIS (Reuters) – French hospitals registered 1,307 new coronavirus patients on Monday in the highest one-day increase since April 2, which saw 1,607 new patients, as the health system comes under increasing stress from a runaway infection rate.

French health ministry data showed that France now has a total of 17,784 coronavirus patients in its hospitals, compared with a record 32,292 on April 14, at the height of the March-May lockdown.

The ministry also reported 26,771 new confirmed coronavirus cases in past 24 hours, from 52,010 on Sunday. On Monday, the tally usually drops sharply because of reporting lags over the weekend.

The death toll went up by 257, taking the cumulative total since the start of the epidemic to 35,018. The number of people in intensive care units rose by 186 to 2,770.

Several regions in France have implemented emergency plans in hospitals, delaying non-essential operations to make space in ICU units for COVID-19 patients and cancelling staff holidays.

Sources told Reuters that authorities were looking at options for still tighter measures to fight COVID-19, including starting a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m curfew earlier, confining people to their homes at weekends except for essential trips, and closing non-essential shops.

(Reporting by Geert De Clercq, Editing by Franklin Paul and Alison Williams)

Source Article

Read more