San Antonio among the worst cities for allergies, report says

A recent report from an air filter brand listed San Antonio as one of the worst cities in the country to live in for allergy sufferers.

In a report last week, Filterbuy ranked the Alamo City as the seventh-worst city for allergies out the top 100 largest metro areas in the U.S. On a 100-point scale in which a higher score will land a city among the worst, San Antonio received a score of 87.21.

Researchers ranked the cities based on three key factors: pollen counts, allergy medicine use, and the number of allergists in the area. In the report, the data also ranked which city had the worst allergy season during the spring and fall.


READ ALSO: Can this graphic help you determine if you have coronavirus, a cold or allergies?

According to the report, San Antonio is the fourth-worst city for allergies during the fall and the 12th-worst for spring.

Overall, the report listed Richmond, Virginia as the worst city in the country for people with allergies. Scranton, Pennsylvania followed in second, Springfield, Massachusetts claimed the third spot and Hartford, Connecticut was No. 4. McAllen in the Rio Grande Valley and New Haven, Connecticut, were No. 5 and No. 6, respectively.

Filterbuy used data from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America’s 2020 Allergy Capitals report, which also listed San Antonio as the seventh-worst city for allergies in March. Researchers also used data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the report.

For more information on the report, visit filterbuy.com.

Priscilla Aguirre is a general assignment reporter for MySA.com | [email protected] | @CillaAguirre

Source Article

Read more

Antonio Brown’s physical fitness ‘shocked’ the Bucs, per report

Antonio Brown is just a week away from making his 2020 NFL debut, the closest he’s been to an NFL game in over a year. After being away from football for so long, the recently-signed Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver could’ve had a lot of work to do to get back into game day shape. But just the opposite is true.

Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer reported on Sunday that to the surprise and delight of the Bucs, Brown walked into the facility in peak physical condition.

“As far as physically, they were shocked at how good he looked,” Glazer said. “He is in game shape.”

Brown is a five-time All-Pro and known to be a workout nut. Despite his frequent (and quickly rescinded) retirements, it always seemed clear that Brown wanted to return to the NFL. Staying in excellent physical condition would certainly help that happen faster than if he’d spent the last year eating cheese curls and binge watching “Real Housewives” while camping out on the couch.

As far as getting acclimated to his new team and their game plan, don’t worry. Tom Brady apparently invited Brown to stay in his Tampa mansion, so he’ll be around to help whenever Brown needs it.

Brown’s suspension coming to an end

Brown was suspended in January for eight games for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy following a fight with a moving company driver that led to burglary and battery charges, but that is far from his only off-the-field issue. Brown has also been accused of rape and sexual misconduct by several different women.

His former personal trainer, Britney Taylor, has accused Brown of raping her and has sued him in civil court. That suit is still ongoing, and The Athletic reports that a trial date of Dec. 14-18 has been set, though it’s likely it will be rescheduled to a later date.

Brown’s eight-week suspension ends after this week, so while he will not be playing in Tampa’s Week 8 game against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football, he will make his debut for the Bucs’ Week 9 game agains the New Orleans Saints.

Antonio Brown’s physical condition reportedly “shocked” the Buccaneers when he first showed up to the facility. (Joe Cavaretta/Sun Sentinel/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

More from Yahoo Sports:

Source Article

Read more

West Ham waiting for Antonio injury news after latest withdrawal



David Moyes, Michail Antonio that are standing in the grass: MailOnline logo


© Provided by Daily Mail
MailOnline logo

West Ham are waiting anxiously to hear whether leading goalscorer Michail Antonio will need treatment for a recurring hamstring problem after the 30-year-old came off during Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Manchester City. 

Antonio had put the Hammers in front in the match with a brilliant bicycle kick after 18 minutes to bag his 11th Premier League goal since matches went behind closed doors due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with only Tottenham striker Harry Kane scoring more in that time in England’s top flight.

However, he was withdrawn seven minutes into the second half, with Andriy Yarmolenko coming on to replace him just after Phil Foden had equalised for City, and now there are concerns he could face an extended spell out. 



a group of people playing football on a field: Michail Antonio scored a spectacular bicycle kick before being substituted in the second half


© Provided by Daily Mail
Michail Antonio scored a spectacular bicycle kick before being substituted in the second half

The initial assessment of Antonio’s injury was inconclusive and he will have a scan by Thursday at the latest. 

The London-born forward has become the focal point of the Hammers’ attack with his tireless running, intelligent link-up play and deadly finishing and will be sorely missed if he does have to spend time on the sidelines.

David Moyes’ side have a weekend trip to Liverpool up next as they look to haul themselves back into the top half of the table. 

Antonio had been substituted the previous weekend during the epic 3-3 comeback against Tottenham with a similar issue and West Ham manager Moyes was optimistic he would recover quickly when speaking after the Man City match. 



a man playing a game of football: Antonio has been in sizzling form since matches went behind closed doors due to Covid-19


© Provided by Daily Mail
Antonio has been in sizzling form since matches went behind closed doors due to Covid-19

The former Sheffield Wednesday man has suffered a succession of hamstring problems since joining the east Londoners, but he is enjoying a new lease of life under Moyes. 

With £45million Sebastien Haller unfancied by Moyes in the league, Antonio has found himself at the point of the attack and has thrived, scoring in the 3-0 win over Leicester City this season, as well as popping up with crucial strikes against Chelsea and Manchester United last term and firing four past Norwich City to relegate the Canaries in July. 

Moyes will be hoping other members of the side’s attack can fill the void if Antonio does face time out and the ex-Everton boss will be encouraged by the form of his side, who have taken five points from matches against Leicester, Tottenham and City this month. 

Jarrod Bowen has chipped in with three goals in six Premier League games so far this season, while full-backs Arthur Masuaku and Vladimir Coufal have also been menacing down the flanks and the options of Yarmolenko and Manuel Lanzini off the bench ensure that no opponents can rest on their laurels. 



a person with a football ball: Sebastian Haller has proven unfancied by boss David Moyes in his Premier League attack


© Provided by Daily Mail
Sebastian Haller has proven unfancied by boss David Moyes in his Premier League attack


Read more

Source Article

Read more

San Antonio mayor to discuss Space Force, military medicine in Pentagon visit

Mayor Ron Nurenberg will spend Thursday in Washington talking with top Pentagon officials about bolstering the military’s many medical assets here, as well as the city’s hope to serve as the new home of U.S. Space Command.



Ron Nirenberg et al. standing next to a man in a suit and tie: Mayor-elect Ron Nirenberg attends the basic military training graduation of 526 airmen at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in 2017.


© Bob Owen /San Antonio Express-News

Mayor-elect Ron Nirenberg attends the basic military training graduation of 526 airmen at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in 2017.


He’ll meet with the Air Force’s chief of staff, Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., as well as Gen. John “Jay” Raymond, U.S. Space Force’s chief of space operations, and the head of the Defense Health Agency, Lt. Gen. Ronald J. Place.

Loading...

Load Error

The goal: Convince those leaders that San Antonio, “Military City, U.S.A.,” is ready to host Space Command, support other new Air Force operations here and help expand military medicine missions.

“I wanted them to know San Antonio is going to show up, even when the world’s on pause,” Nirenberg said, referring to the coronavirus pandemic.

Unlike the annual SA to DC lobbying trip to Washington, this one will be a small affair, with Nirenberg bringing only two others with him. Nirenberg called this trip a “precision exercise.”

“If SA to DC is sending in the cavalry, this trip is the air strike,” he said.

In setting up the meetings, Pentagon officials asked that the mayor keep the group to just three people because they were to meet with major decision-makers. The others with him retired Marine Maj. Gen. Juan Ayala, director of the city’s Office of Military and Veteran Affairs, and Jenna Saucedo-Herrera, president/CEO of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.

The big-ticket items on the agenda include Space Command and the Defense Health Agency, but there will be other stops. Nirenberg will talk with the undersecretary of the Army, and the Department of Defense’s office for Homeland Defense Integration and Defense Support to Civil Authorities.

The mayor’s office said Nirenberg will have specific “asks” or points of information for ongoing or future initiatives from the city or local military community that add value to Joint Base San Antonio, the largest joint base in the Department of Defense. The trip will encourage senior Pentagon leaders to consider keeping San Antonio at the top of their list to either relocate missions or activate new ones.

San Antonio made it through the initial cut as the Air Force seeks a permanent headquarters for the Space Command, now based in Colorado Springs, Colo. Governors from 26 states nominated 100 cities to be the command’s new home.

It was established as the 11th combat command in August 2019 and the Air Force is now in the evaluation phase of a selection process that aims to pick finalists in mid-to late-November. A decision is expected in January, and the new headquarters will take about six years to put in place.

Nirenberg has said San Antonio is a natural fit for Space Command because of its quality of life, a

Read more
  • Partner links