Paramedic returns to work after being knifed in the chest

A paramedic who was knifed in the chest during a 999 call has returned to work after making an incredible recovery.

Deena Evans, 39, was attacked alongside her colleague while treating a patient in Wolverhampton on July 6.

At the time, shocking pictures showed her being treated by colleagues before she was rushed to hospital for treatment to injuries including a chest wound and nerve damage.

But three months on, the paramedic has returned to work after making an amazing recovery and was pictured at her first shift back on Friday (October 16).

Deena Evans
Deena Evans (left), was brutally knifed in the chest while on a 999 emergency call in Wolverhampton on July 6. (SWNS)

West Midlands Ambulance Service shared a picture of her smiling standing next to an ambulance, writing: “We spy a familiar face. Today was her first day back on the road since the incident, she had crew mate Charlie looking after her.”

Evans, who starred in TV show Inside the Ambulance, said: “My recovery is going well. I’m still receiving physio and counselling but it’s helping. I still have numbness in my arm but it so far hasn’t affected my job.

Read more: Horror crash claims fourth victim after teen dies in hospital days later

“My first day I was really nervous, I felt sick and felt like I couldn’t breathe but all the staff helped me, and my crew mate always makes me laugh so it was a good shift.

“The public support has been phenomenal, it really has been overwhelming. It certainly brings back faith in humanity, and I’m glad to be back doing my job.”

Evans and her colleague Michael Hipgrave, 51, were both attacked after they were called to check on the welfare of a man.

Neighbours described hearing “blood curdling screams” and the ambulance workers shouting “please help, he’s got a knife” during the incident.

Hipgrave was discharged from hospital later the same evening after suffering a back injury, while Evans spent another two days receiving treatment.

She has previously told how she was left haunted by the incident, describing how she relives it every time she closes her eyes.

She said: “You just can’t get it out your head and it’s getting over that stage, being able to put it to bed, and at the minute, I don’t think I’m there.

“We’ve had support from the Trust, we’ve got things in place to deal with what happened.

“There’s not enough thank you’s in the world for everybody for the well wishes.”

Hipgrave also told how the incident had taken its toll on his family and friends.

Martyn Smith, 52, of Wolverhampton, has been charged with two counts of wounding. He denies the charges and is expected to stand trial in May next year.

Watch: Can you catch the coronavirus twice?

Source Article