Dehydration is a situation where the body fails to do basic normal function due to the loss of body fluids. This situation encounters people mostly during the scorching summertime. During summertime, people fail to drink enough water. In this time of climate change, and a lot of people get affected by dehydration during the summer season.
It is very necessary to keep our bodies always hydrated because only then cells, organs, skin, etc. functions properly. A doctor normally says that a person must drink at least 8 liters of water a day.
Main causes of dehydration
Water is very important for a human body; it lubricates each part and cell of the body. The causes of dehydration are many. Some of the causes are:
- Today as heat arises we all sweat a lot due to heat and daily activities we daily do. This sweat is the water evaporating from our bodies.
- Sometimes during our busy lives, we forget to take care of ourselves. Today, a lot of people suffer dehydration due to fewer intakes of water.
- When you are vomiting the water out, or the body fluids in our body escapes out, in such a situation we may suffer the same.
- Consumption of alcohol will also decrease the amount of fluid in our body. And when we lose a lot amount of water, they suffer a headache.
- People with diabetes tend to get dehydrated more because then there is more amount of glucose in the body. In such a situation kidney tries to get rid of glucose by urinating. So, along with glucose a lot of water also comes out of the body.
- Illness such as diarrhea, gastroenteritis leads dehydration due to the loss of fluids in the body.
Few symptoms of dehydration
Dehydration mainly depends on the body weight of each person. There is mild and severe dehydration. Having dehydration is not very good for Kidney, which later on leads to severe problems.
- One of the major symptoms is being thirsty. You feel like having water a lot and also feel that your body is exhausted
- Dark-colored urination is another symptom. When your body is dehydrated, the urination color seems to be much darker than usual color.
- Head-ache: your head starts aching a little. Also, feel like blackout sometimes.
- Dry mouth: the mouth feels empty and dried up due to low intake of water. Lips will also get dried as the mouth.
- As you take in less amount of water so does the stamina to do daily activity decreases. It mainly happens due to heat tiredness.
- Infrequently passing urine 3-4 times in a day, in less amount. Also feels an urge for urination but never happens.
- Sunken eyes: when intake off water decreases first eyes gets sunken later on slowly, skin dries and gets darker.
- Weak muscles and lethargic: due to lack of water a person gets leaner, and so muscles get weak. Water is essential to sustain muscles. Also while doing any work the person may get lethargic.
Today there is advanced technology to take care of our health. Symptom tracker is a useful application which is available online to allow patients to keep track of their own symptoms.
- Drink a lot of water to keep your body always hydrated and awake. This the only thing which should be kept in mind.
- Have natural fruits like oranges, etc. which also helps in fulfilling thirsty temporarily.
- Take oral rehydration solutions if necessary. Such solutions help a lot. This is mainly for kids of small age. For infants; mainly they suggest mothers milk (breast milk), it also replaces salts and minerals.
- Drink fresh fruit juices. It will not only cure the thirst but also refills the minerals needed.
- Take food (vegetables) that contain rich in water.
- Avoid high sugar drinks especially caffeine, alcohol, and beverages.
People with kidney stones and urinary infections should take more care and try to drink a lot of water because that’s the only solution to such diseases. Also, such diseases are harmful to the kidney so they should be more alert. It is always advisable to see a doctor as soon as one feels he/she has dehydration.
Fast way to cure dehydration
The fastest curing methods are almost the same. They can also be used in an emergency state or can be used as home remedial methods.
- Take small amounts of water and sip it.
- Drink electrolytic/ carbohydrate drinks like starch and coconut water which replace both salts and thirsty feeling. Also, sports drinks help up to a limit.
- Make popsicles made out of juices and sports drinks. This can be a good method to make small children hydrated; they prefer popsicles more than water.
- Lemon essential oils also help. Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to a glass of water and drink it. Drinking this often will help to keep an individual hydrated to an extent
- After a heavy workout rather than chilled water it is always advisable to have pickle juices. Because after workout most of the salts are gone. So to restore salts and satisfy thirst, this will help a lot. Having chilled is not so advisable as there will body temperature differences.
Dehydration is one of the main problems we all face now during the summer season. Mostly this is seen in children. Creating awareness about dehydration and its severity is very much essential as at times the consequences of dehydration can be fatal. Dehydration later on severe conditions leads to the failure of kidney and other kidney problems. Doctors usually advise the patients always to try to drink at least 8 liters of water in a day. Children are advised to drink more since they play a lot in the sun. Being hydrated helps to keep ourselves healthy and fit, as well as avoid a lot of unwanted issues.