Naples Mayor Teresa Heitmann poses for a portrait at River Park Community Center in Naples on Thursday, October 22, 2020. (Photo: Alex Driehaus/Naples Daily News/USA TODAY – FLORIDA NETWORK)
Less than a month after testing positive for coronavirus, Naples Mayor Teresa Heitmann said her health has recovered.
Heitmann said she tested negative for the virus on Oct. 19, two weeks after testing positive. She returned to in-person public meetings at Naples City Hall last week.
“I think I feel great because I’m just thankful that I had what I thought was a mild version,” she said in a phone interview with the Naples Daily News.
Heitmann quarantined in her home in Naples beginning Oct. 1 after her daughter tested positive for coronavirus. She initially tested negative for COVID-19 on Oct. 1, but then tested positive on Oct. 5, according to the city.
More: Naples Mayor Teresa Heitmann tests positive for COVID-19
More: NCH and city of Naples to team up on COVID-19 public health initiative
Two city employees who were in close proximity to the mayor tested negative for the virus on both Oct. 1 and Oct. 5, according to a city news release.
City staff performed contact tracing and sent 10 employees for rapid-testing on Oct. 6. All 10 employees tested negative, according to the city.
The mayor said she experienced mild symptoms of the virus. She was not hospitalized, she said.
Heitmann continued to work on city business while in quarantine, including attending the Oct. 7 Naples City Council meeting via video conference.
“I still worked and was able to rest in between,” she said.
Heitmann said it is important for the community to “get back to our normal lives,” but she said she doesn’t want people to become “complacent” as winter approaches and seasonal residents return to the area.
On Monday, the Florida Department of Health reported 48 new cases of COVID-19 in Collier County for a total of 14,135 overall cases.
More: Naples City Council does not opt into Collier County mask mandate
More: Collier commission extends slightly tweaked mask mandate until April
City of Naples seal (Photo: File)
After the Naples City Council earlier this summer decided not to opt into the county’s mask mandate, the city partnered with NCH Healthcare System on a public information campaign to encourage mask-wearing and other healthy practices to fight the coronavirus.
Heitmann and NCH Healthcare System CEO Paul Hiltz provided masks to staff at the River Park Community Center last Thursday.
“My biggest stress or important message to the community is, not everybody wants to wear a mask, but out of respect to others when you’re in public, then you should be respectful and wear a mask for good health,” she said.
Heitmann said she has appreciated the positive messages she received over the past month about her health.
“I have received nothing but kind well-wishes from the community. That helps with any healing process and boosts up your
DENVER (AP) — Colorado Gov. Jared Polis is quarantining himself after learning that Aurora Mayor Mike Coffman tested positive for the coronavirus over a week after they appeared with other officials at a press conference, a spokesperson for the governor said Sunday.
In a statement, spokesperson Maria De Cambra said Polis would quarantine while waiting to hear from health officials investigating who else may have been exposed to the coronavirus about whether he should continue to isolate himself.…
Mayor Ron Nurenberg will spend Thursday in Washington talking with top Pentagon officials about bolstering the military’s many medical assets here, as well as the city’s hope to serve as the new home of U.S. Space Command.
Mayor-elect Ron Nirenberg attends the basic military training graduation of 526 airmen at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in 2017.
He’ll meet with the Air Force’s chief of staff, Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., as well as Gen. John “Jay” Raymond, U.S. Space Force’s chief of space operations, and the head of the Defense Health Agency, Lt. Gen. Ronald J. Place.
The goal: Convince those leaders that San Antonio, “Military City, U.S.A.,” is ready to host Space Command, support other new Air Force operations here and help expand military medicine missions.
“I wanted them to know San Antonio is going to show up, even when the world’s on pause,” Nirenberg said, referring to the coronavirus pandemic.
Unlike the annual SA to DC lobbying trip to Washington, this one will be a small affair, with Nirenberg bringing only two others with him. Nirenberg called this trip a “precision exercise.”
“If SA to DC is sending in the cavalry, this trip is the air strike,” he said.
In setting up the meetings, Pentagon officials asked that the mayor keep the group to just three people because they were to meet with major decision-makers. The others with him retired Marine Maj. Gen. Juan Ayala, director of the city’s Office of Military and Veteran Affairs, and Jenna Saucedo-Herrera, president/CEO of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.
The big-ticket items on the agenda include Space Command and the Defense Health Agency, but there will be other stops. Nirenberg will talk with the undersecretary of the Army, and the Department of Defense’s office for Homeland Defense Integration and Defense Support to Civil Authorities.
The mayor’s office said Nirenberg will have specific “asks” or points of information for ongoing or future initiatives from the city or local military community that add value to Joint Base San Antonio, the largest joint base in the Department of Defense. The trip will encourage senior Pentagon leaders to consider keeping San Antonio at the top of their list to either relocate missions or activate new ones.
San Antonio made it through the initial cut as the Air Force seeks a permanent headquarters for the Space Command, now based in Colorado Springs, Colo. Governors from 26 states nominated 100 cities to be the command’s new home.
It was established as the 11th combat command in August 2019 and the Air Force is now in the evaluation phase of a selection process that aims to pick finalists in mid-to late-November. A decision is expected in January, and the new headquarters will take about six years to put in place.
Nirenberg has said San Antonio is a natural fit for Space Command because of its quality of life, a
CHICAGO (CBS) — Facing a “very concerning increase” in COVID-19 cases not only in Chicago but across the country, Mayor Lori Lightfoot warned that the city might be forced to move back to some Phase 3 restrictions soon if the city can’t get get the outbreak under better control.
“Make no mistake. We are in the second surge,” Lightfoot said Monday morning.
Lightfoot said, over past two weeks, the number of confirmed daily cases of COVID-19 in Chicago has risen more than 50%, to more than 500 per day. She said that’s the highest number of daily cases Chicago has seen since the tail end of the first spike of cases in May.
According to the Chicago Department of Public Health, the city’s 7-day average positivity rate is up 29% in the past week, rising from 4.2% to 5.4%. Lightfoot said the city also has seen a “worrying increase” in hospitalizations.
Chicago Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said the COVID-19 hospitalizations in Chicago have risen 25% since late September.
“These numbers are extremely troubling, and are consistent with what we’ve been seeing across Illinois, and really across the country and world,” Lightfoot said.
Also From CBS Chicago:
Arwady said new COVID-19 cases have increased dramatically across all age groups, races, and ethnicities. She said the overall rate of new cases is increasing at a rate similar to the start of the first wave of cases in March, April, and May.
“We are sounding this alarm because the increase is real,” she said.
Lightfoot said, if the city doesn’t see those rates begin to drop soon, she will be forced to reinstate some COVID-19 restrictions that were lifted earlier this year.
“If we don’t see a dramatic turnaround in our numbers, and soon, we will not hesitate to take the steps that are necessary to save our city, to save our residents, and even if that means going back to some of our Phase Three restrictions,” she said.
The mayor did not specify what Phase 3 restrictions she might put back into place, but under Phase 3 of the city’s reopening plan, bars and restaurants were not allowed to serve customers indoors. Many stores and businesses were allowed to be open at 50% capacity, but non-essential businesses were limited to 25% capacity. Theaters, cinemas, and other performing arts venues were closed under Phase 3. Gyms and healthclubs were limited to outdoor classes or one-on-one training. Public gatherings were limited to 10 people or fewer.
The mayor said she realizes resuming some Phase 3 restrictions would be potentially devastating for businesses that already have been struggling during the pandemic, but she said if COVID cases continue to surge, she will have no choice.
“I don’t want to go there, particularly for those who are in business; the small businesses who have already suffered through a very difficult year. This would be a tragedy for many of them, but I’ve got to do what is right to protect us from this
OCEAN CITY, NJ — Despite a small bump in coronavirus inpatients, doctors told Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian they are not “overly concerned.” But Gillian said everyone should continue to take precautions.
Doctors are learning more about the virus and how to treat it, so they’re not too concerned about the slight increase, he said.
“Please continue to take personal responsibility for wearing masks, avoiding crowds and large indoor gatherings, and washing hands,” Gillian said in his weekly address. “And please stay at home if you feel sick or show symptoms of any illness. Together, we can help to minimize the spread of the virus and keep everybody safe and healthy.”
Shore Medical Center brought back a visitor ban Wednesday because of an increase in cases in its hospital community and South Jersey. After the Tuesday announcement, a spokesperson for the hospital told Patch they had eight coronavirus inpatients at the time. Read more: Shore Medical Center Reinstitutes Visitor Ban Due To Coronavirus
Similarly, AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center announced visitor restrictions for its emergency departments in Galloway, Atlantic City and Hammonton. The hospital network reported an increase in patients presenting flu-like symptoms and an uptick in community spread. Read more: AtlantiCare Restricts Visitors Due To Local Coronavirus Uptick
“We remind all members of our community to call your healthcare provider first before visiting a doctor’s office, urgent care, or emergency department for symptoms of cold, flu, COVID-19 and other infectious illnesses,” AtlantiCare spokesperson Jennifer Tornetta told Patch in a statement. “If you are having difficulty breathing or are having a life-threatening emergency, dial 911.”
The Cape May County Health Department reported nine active cases, 107 people cleared off quarantine and three deaths in Ocean City as of Sunday morning. Cape May County has reported 81 active cases, 1,294 people cleared off quarantine and 93 deaths, officials said.
Click here to get Patch email notifications on this or other local news articles or get Patch breaking news alerts sent right to your phone with our app. Download here. Follow Ocean City Patch on Facebook. Have a news tip? Email email@example.com.
This article originally appeared on the Ocean City Patch