Kids have higher nutritional needs compared to adults to support the rapid growth and development. Thus, their snack needs to be more nutritionally balanced. However the convenience foods that dominate the snack aisle generally contain snacks that are fried, high in artificial colours preservatives, sugar, salt and Trans fat that are far from healthy and can be labelled as junk.
We see children binging on packs after packs of chips and other munchies and gobbling huge bars of candies and chocolates and gulp down sugary soft drinks. This along with increased frequency of eating out and fast food culture has really raised concerns regarding the health and nutritional status of our kids.
When selecting snacks for kids it is important to keep it interesting and tasty along with healthy to make them accept the snack food. To put it in simple words the snacks you choose should be kids- friendly.
In this blog we have compiled a list of snacks that are Kids friendly
- Yoghurt – provides calcium, protein and abundance of good bacteria which are best for kids. Avoid sugar laced yoghurts marketed for kids instead plain yoghurts sweetened with fruits or honey is better to choose.
- Popcorn – though many consider as junk are actually a good whole grain with good nutrients. If you skip the extravagant seasoning and drizzles, popcorn are better compared to fried chips and other crisps.
- Nuts – are packed with fiber, protein and brain-boosting omega 3. Keep variety in your selection of nuts to keep diversity in nutrients.
- Cottage cheese – can be eaten raw, cooked or as a spread. It is not only a good source of calcium and protein but also vitamin B12.
- Trail mixes – are good on the go snacking options for kids. The assortment of nuts, dried fruits, whole grain cereal, and granola make it a nice healthy mix for the kids. Many commercially available trail mix contain sugar candies or chocolates chunks but healthier varieties of trail mix are also available to choose from. Trail mixes are easy to make and can be made at home too using particularly favourite food of your child.
- Energy bars – or granola bars are also a good option to consider as a snack on the go. Furthermore, energy bars or nutrition bars are a great replacement for a regular chocolate bars or candy bars. Several varieties and delicious favours are available in the market and some of them are truly healthy and made up of natural ingredients.
- Cheese – the old and the best. Kids love it and are loaded with vitamins, mineral and proteins. Easy to carry and eat, this hassle free snack has been a source of relief to mothers since ages.
- Fruits and vegetables – grilled, steamed or boiled are best finger foods for kids, young and old. Broccoli, mashed or grilled or baked potatoes, beans, apple, pears, tomatoes, carrots etc are few vegetables you can experiment with.
Its common for kids to feel hungry between meals and it is a good thing as it helps us provide them with necessary energy and fulfil their nutritional requirement. They key is to choose healthy and wholesome foods to support their growth requirements.